it's about life.. down here in ...

letter F Cast Iron Capital Letter R (North Scituate, RI) alphabet series - e letter N C letter H L metal verdigris letter I typewriter key letter Q U white paint on blue - rusting chocolate letter E

Monday, September 29, 2008

What I'm thinkin' about, sittin' here in French Lique...

I have a diversity of interests... things I like to do, stuff I like to read, art I like to create... Maybe that is why I cannot read only one book at a time. I get through about 1-1/2 books per week and usually read tons of articles, magazines and blogs. I like feeding my mind... maybe? Perhaps more likely, I think something is going to happen that I won't know about.

Those of you that know me well, know that I thrive on what I like to call "factoids". To me, "factoids" are useless pieces of information normally used on game shows; information that is basically useless for any real purpose other than answering the "final Jeopardy question", which I more often than not, answer correctly. Richard and I often get the TV turned on in the evening just in time to catch the last 15 minutes of my favorite game show, Jeopardy. When the final Jeopardy "answer" is posted and answered (which is always posed as a question)... Richard looks at me in awe... and me... I just shrug and say... "factoids".

Today's "answer" was "The year, in the 20th Century, when Alfred Eisenstaedt took a famous photo of an anonymous man, who it is now known, is probably George Mendonsa." (They didn't show the picture until after the question aka answer was revealed). Rolling my eyes up toward the ceiling, I paused and thought for a few moments (I won't share my thinking process here, lest you become the king or queen of "factoids" yourself), then answered... "What is 1945?" (I'm always careful to form my "answer" into a "question"). Richard said, once the correct answer, "1945", was revealed... "how, out of the entire 20th Century, did you come up with that photo and that year?" The truth, I wasn't thinking of that photo, I was thinking of the end of WW2, and that was where my mind had gone... "factoids"...



I'm an investment advisor... Today the market dropped a record 777... you'd think my mind would be on other things... perhaps this is how I keep my sanity in this crazy career I've chosen... and there ya have it... another factoid... "09/29/2008 market drops a record 777"... bet that will a Jeopardy question next season!

Now, if, like me, you feel the need to do some more research on that famous photograph... well, I found a great little article here by Tom Huntington in America in WWII... Factoids are important here in French Lique... http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/kissers.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the funniest Aunt in the world?

Dixie said...

answer: Auntie J