it's about life.. down here in ...

letter F Cast Iron Capital Letter R (North Scituate, RI) alphabet series - e letter N C letter H L metal verdigris letter I typewriter key letter Q U white paint on blue - rusting chocolate letter E

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Looking for Lahoma Herron...

I did a little Goodwill shopping a couple of weeks ago when Ricky and I went to drop off a few items... I figured I'd donated at least 20 or so items.. I could stand to pick up a couple of treasures... if I found any.

Lo' and Behold! I found this little treasure... a delicate oil painting... beautifully framed in Paris...
Paris, Texas that is...

There they were those sweet little birds.. sitting on a shelf behind some larger, cheaper looking pictures... mass produced... not original oil paintings... had someone tried to hide this little treasure? Too late... I found it and it is mine... and only $1.99... An original to be sure... signed right here by the artist... Lahoma Herron... Herron like the bird? Perhaps, Lahoma was or is a bird lover... and an accomplished painter to be sure... But who is Lahoma?There are a few clues hidden back here... on the reverse of this lovely treasure... Let's see what they are... Framed by Vernon Daniel in... look... Paris... Texas...
and signed again on the back by Lahoma... obviously a gift to someone special... and Lahoma... a Christian by all accounts... as she has asked God to bless the receiver of this treasure... and they were a special recipient.. because she signed with "Love"... But where is Lahoma... and how did such a lovely treasure come to be in the picture bin at Goodwill? I'm doing my research... and I think I've found a relative of Miss Lahoma's... I've sent them an email inquiry and am awaiting their response...

Until then... The beautiful treasure, painted by Miss Lahoma Herron, has found a place of honor...
on my freshly painted walls, in my newly redecorated home office...
down here in French Lique...

A little Looking for Lahoma update... I've been in email contact with her Great-Niece Krystal.... Krystal has kindly offered to get me in touch with Lahoma. I'll let you know what happens!
Update #2... I heard from Lahoma's niece, Shelley (Krystal's mom). Shelley is going to contact Lahoma for me... There will be a new post sometime this weekend about Miss Lahoma and her art... stay tuned...

19 comments:

KBeau said...

That's a real find.

Deb said...

Aren't you the lucky one, those little birdies are so cute, I hope you find the person that painted it.

Anonymous said...

My mother lives in Clarksville Tx which is about 17 miles from Paris. I will ask her if she knows of them.
Lorri

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

My Brother lives in Paris, TX I'll ask him if he's heard of her. What a beautiful work of art.

Stacey said...

I just love that you are trying to track that family down. How sweet!

trash talk said...

I wonder if you contacted the framer if he might have a copy of the receipt for the framing. You may have already thought of that. It just came to me. I have a wonderful oil that I'm trying to locate the artist for. Mine's a Texas artist from the hill country I think. I found her husband on the census records, but not her! It's such fun, but a little frustrating! Good luck! Debbie

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is so sweet - love the birds - what a find! Linda

Kat said...

What a neat find! Hope you find out the story behind it. It really is a lovely piece. Kathy

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Oh I love it when you find those little unexpected treasures! I am enchanted that you would search out the artist. Blessings to you, Katie

Deanna said...

Wow Dixie, I'm intrigued! What a wonderful find! I have a stash of paintings that I have purchased over the years at Goodwill when we lived in Lubbock. I should do a post of them.

I'm so glad that lovely painting now has a special place of honor in your home.

Deanna :D

Candy said...

What a neat story and what a great find. See ya tomorrow girlie. Have you been to Twice Blessed Resale Shop right off the square where we will be for lunch?
Now I am going to go lay out my clothes for tomorrow...something cute to go with the hat I have chosen.
Til then, Candy

SmilingSally said...

How exciting! A lovely bargain and a couple posts to boot!

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a wonderful story and what a sweetie painting. I can't wait to hear more!!

Have A Fantastic Friday
from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

Helen said...

I find all of this simply fascinating!!!!

bj said...

Hi, Dixie...just wanted to stop by and say hi...
Nice little painting..I just love GOODWILL !!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Well, how interesting! And the fact that you followed up on it. I like that! I knew someone with that name once, a long time ago. Can't wait to find out.
Brenda

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Very pretty picture, and the story is so intriguing. I can hardly wait to watch it further unfold☺

Hope you have a good weekend, Dixie☺

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi there, Miss Dixie! YOU are the real treasure here! How sweet of you to bother to try to find Miss Lahoma! I am sometimes so saddened at the real handmade treasures I find at GW and my friend Linda and I comment on the love and work that went into them. You are a special lady to not only rescue her work, but to try to contact her to let her know how much you appreciate it! Have a wonderful weekend...hugs...Debbie

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gosh! What a lovely treasure. I'll bet you danced out of the Goodwill.......I LOVE that store. I've found many of my favorite things there.....well, not in Texas.......but here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. And then to get to find the artist! Whew! Isn't the internet something? Congratulations on your victory.

Blessings,
Spencer