it's about life.. down here in ...

letter F Cast Iron Capital Letter R (North Scituate, RI) alphabet series - e letter N C letter H L metal verdigris letter I typewriter key letter Q U white paint on blue - rusting chocolate letter E

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

OMG Cancer

wow. I haven't blogged in a very long time. Life kinda grabs you... snd then time goes by so quickly, doesn't it.  I'm going to share some stuff here... don't know if anyone will read it... and that's okay. I'm just putting it into words...

In May this year... 2017, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It sucks. CANCER! My mind screamed that at me, every day around 5 in the morning.  Between my PCP telling me I had breast cancer, and me seeing the oncologist, was about 2-weeks.  To me, it seemed like a long time to have to wait. I mean, I had this cancer in my breast, eating away at me (she envisions pacman), and why in the hell was everyone else so cavalier? "I have freakin' cancer!"

I won't go into all the torrid details... at least not yet...but the upshot is... stage 1 of a slow growing, estrogen fed (yes, I'm 62 and I still apparently produce estrogen), malignant tumor 9 mm.. a scant 1/4".

Diagnosis... good.  Treatment... worse than the cancer itself.  Partial mastectomy and 6-weeks of radiation treatments.. 5-days a week.. for 6-weeks.  Radiation sucks, but it's better than chemo.

Cancer. It scares the hell out of you. It makes you take stock of your life.

I'm fine now, and awaiting knee replacement surgery (which is what started all this cancer stuff in the first place)... scheduled for December 4th... prayers and sweet comments accepted.. Down Here in French Lique.

6 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Sending you lots of hugs and keeping you in my prayers! I know just saying the words out loud and then putting them on paper wasn't easy....hugs...Debbie

donna baker said...

Aw Dixie. So sorry you have had to deal with this. I've had so many family and friends with cancer. And, it is a freaking big deal. I think you'd have to sedate me as they do take their sweet time from testing to treatment. Cancer is becoming a treatable/chronic condition now and there is much new ammo for them to treat. The knee will be a breeze. I put it off for 15! years and thus had a minor problem from waiting too long. You'll be up and walking the same day and after a year or two, won't even notice that it is a replacement. I shouldn't have put it off so long. You have to drag me kicking and screaming to the doctor, so it must seem insurmountable right now, but the knee will be a breeze after what you're going through. Take care and you'll be over the hump soon:)

lyn2don said...

Praising God it was somewhat simple and over and done with. Praying for continued healing and that things go well with your knee. Hugs!
Lyn

Elaine said...

Thank you for sharing. Please know my schedule is very open to help with transportation to radiation, etc. lots of healing prayers coming your way.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Cancer seems to touch us all these days...if not a family member then a friend, like you, or co-worker. I know you will keep positive and overcome it.

Janie

Laura said...

You've got this.
This stage of life (I am older that you)is all about moving forward.
You are doing that because that is who you are:)