it's about life.. down here in ...

letter F Cast Iron Capital Letter R (North Scituate, RI) alphabet series - e letter N C letter H L metal verdigris letter I typewriter key letter Q U white paint on blue - rusting chocolate letter E

Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Room with a View at the Farmhouse...

When we purchased the Dylla Family Farmhouse in 2013, there was an old shed in the back yard that was falling down.  The wood was completely rotted, and the bottom half of most of the walls was nonexistent.  Once we took it down, we were left with a 10x10 concrete pad and four rusty steel posts, one at each corner.  Ricky asked me what I wanted to do with it... I said "I think I'll build an outdoor room with a view".  
Finding two old screen doors in the tractor barn at the farmhouse, sent me on a mission to find more.  I scoured the country side for cheap, rusty screen doors and windows.  Including scouring my friend Candy's house... thank you Candy!

that's the old chicken coup to the right of the "room" and our freshly tilled vegetable garden, yet to be planted, to the left...

 Last weekend, Ricky and I brought all the doors and windows out of the barn and started patching them together, to create walls in our outdoor room.  I had a set of rusty bed springs that I used as part of one wall, a small collection of bird houses and... a lovely iron arch that I purchased several years ago from my friends, Glenn and Joe, the Curious Boys.
 The two pink doors, one on the front in this photo, and the other laying horizontally at the bottom of the side wall, were the two that use to hang here, at the farmhouse.  The window screens were all purchased in Roundtop, Texas last spring.  The screen doors on the back wall came from my friend Candy, of  Rock Candy Blogspot.
On the north side, there's a fig tree... and the south side, our big barn...
 I laid everything out the way I wanted it.... and left my darling husband, Ricky, to figure out how to put it together... 
the front of the "room" faces the back of the farmhouse...
 and he did!
and there's the pretty vintage metal swing I purchased from Theresa Halley Cano in Fredericksburg...
 the yellow window screen and the blue screen door came from a vendor in New Braunfels, Texas...
 The tractor shed, shop and corral are on the north side of the "room"...
 I love the way our little space turned out!

 and I love the sweet iron arch of hearts above the entry...
 I wonder if we'll get any permanent visitors to the little bird houses this summer?  
I wouldn't be surprised if we do!

 in the meantime, we'll just sit right here and watch the beautiful south Texas sunsets...

the "view" from the  entry of the "room" is the farmhouse patio...
Loving the little Dylla Family Farmhouse...
Down Here in French Lique...

5 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I love your view Dixie, it turned out great!

donna baker said...

I love it. Glad to know others like screen doors.

Patty said...

very cute idea! And great inspiration for something similar in the spot where we are tearing down my very old greenhouse which has been falling apart for years. Hmmm, might need to put down a concrete pad first!

bj said...

DIXIE...where are you ?? I've missed coming to French Lique to visit with you....
xoox, bj

Dixie said...

BJ
So sweet of you to think of me. I rarely blog anymore. Somehow, I never seem to get the time. Much of my spare time is spent getting the Dylla Farmhouse ready for visitors. I'm still working, retiring next year. Maybe I'll have more time then!. Who knows!

I'm afraid I've been away from blogging so long, who would read it?! Oh wait! You just did!

Thank you for reminding me I've still got good blogging friends out there! Maybe I'll do a little holiday post soon!

Lots of Hugs
Dixie
(Still down here in French Lique!)